A forest of colorful flags has sprung up at the Palace of Culture in Warsaw – rainbow, with a butterfly, dog, leopard, dots, hearts and with inscriptions. Each one is unique, because it was designed and sewn by a different person. A total of 101 full-size flags that flutter in the wind on the occasion of the 101st anniversary of Poland regaining independence.
101 Flags For 101 Years
There has never been such an installation under the Palace of Culture. 101 huge flags created by Warsaw residents fluttering on six-meter masts in the middle of Defilad Square. The “101 Flag For 101 Years” project is not only a spectacular installation that appeared on the occasion of the 101st anniversary of Poland regaining independence, but above all a creative and extremely valuable citizenship project.
All flags were made by the inhabitants of our city – children, youth, adult parents with children, seniors. Flags were created during workshops whose starting point was the issue of freedom in individual understanding. The projects exude unprecedented ingenuity, courage, but also original forms and a full range of colors– explain the organizers from the Dorożkarnia Culture Center in Warsaw.
What do the flags represent?
All flags were created during the workshop. – As part of the projects, flags were created, where the starting point for the preparation of flags was the issue of freedom in the individual sense – say activists from the Dorożkarnia Culture Center in Warsaw. How do Warsaw residents describe their flags? Here are some examples from the creators:
- My flag represents my world, joyful and pretty. There are olive branches in white and red colors that symbolize peace in our country.
- There is a vertical line on my flag to symbolize the border and crossing oneself.
- On my flag is a head with an open mind in which a flower symbolizes the beauty and freedom of thought.
- Our flag represents a heart surrounded by rays of sun under black clouds. It is a symbol of a situation when a man wants to be good, noble, and in return he encounters only evil and difficulties.
- On my flag, national colors combine and permeate to form the flag of Warsaw and vice versa – the flag of Poland. I feel freedom on my skin, being on the beach, experiencing space, wind and sun. Nothing limits me then.
- My flag represents cells. Cells as independent organisms, and also components of the whole. I love family gatherings.
- My flag represents agreement, peace and goodness. An open hand holds a balloon rising to the sky in the colors of my homeland.
What do you think about the flags? Let us know in the comment section.