The strategic document sets out the main actions that the Polish city will undertake to protect the environment and climate.
the Polish city of Lodz presented its ecological strategy. The strategic document, named Ekopakt Dla Łodzi (Ekopakt for Łódź) specifies the actions that the city will be taking in the coming years to protect the environment and climate. The mission of the pact is to turn Łódź into a “city of greenery, with clean air, free of smog and plastic. With 50,000 newly planted trees, a city that selectively collects 75% of the garbage generated”.
4 main areas of activities to protect the environment and climate
The ecological pact of Lodz revolves around 5 broader areas of activity relative to the environmental protection. The five strategic goals can be summarized as:
- Greenery – protection of greenery and extension of green areas;
- Air – protection and improvement of atmospheric air quality, through thermo-modernization and a comprehensive program for the replacement of heat sources with ecological alternatives;
- Water – rationalisation of water management, including wastewater, maintenance of water quality;
- Waste – improved waste management efficiency, reduction of the amount of garbage produced;
- Education – shaping new attitudes, pro-ecological education in all social groups from children to seniors.
These five topics are connected with a scope of specific activities, ways of their implementation and financing, as well as indicators and parameters that the city wants to achieve in the next decade. Some of the strategic goals require effective cooperation between the City of Łódź and other institutions, including the Voivodship Office, the Marshal’s Office, Łódź parliamentarians, business, universities, NGOs, neighbouring municipalities, the media and all residents.
Better living conditions for the future generations
“Climate change has become a global and local reality. The European Union has defined the green strategy and agenda for our continent and we also want to be with those who want to protect the environment and minimize adverse climate changes. We want to board this train, which is why Łódź and all units subordinate to the city have created a framework document of activities in this area until 2030,” explained Mayor of Lodz Hanna Zdanowska, quoted by uml.lodz.pl. She also emphasized that the document will be discussed and consulted with various bodies and encouraged representatives of all communities to participate in the implementation of the ecological strategy as a tool to preserve the right living conditions for future generations. Consultations on the document are expected to begin by the end of the month.